Thursday, March 11, 2010

In the summer...in the summer...

I am happy that so many of you have dutifully been posting to the blog while I have utterly failed to post anything of interest in far too long. I enjoy reading the posts so very much! Also, I am very sad that the Spring Break trip to NYC didn't work out, but I do think it was for the best.

I haven't been doing anything of interest besides going to school. I will brag and say that I earned the highest grade in my legal writing class this past term, which was a delightful surprise and perhaps I will run back to Carleton and shove it in the face of all those English professors who gave me a B+. Haha...sore spot? No!! More importantly, I have scored a summer internship with the SC Dept. of Health and Environmental Control. This State agency controls the enforcement of health and environmental regulations regarding the issuance of birth certificates, nursing home conditions, water quality, building permits, wetland protection, etc. The internship is full-time, but unpaid unfortunately. In this economy, law firms have taken a big hit with the result that any job, whether paid or unpaid, is a good one for a first year student. Thus, I am very content with my position especially considering it is in a field that, as of my desires right now, I want to practice in.

I will also be making a return trip to Carleton in mid-April for my last Alumni Council Meeting as a student representative. I am very excited to see my junior friends who are still there and hopefully Briana! Yay! Aisling and Bethany are still in the area as well. (Jeez - all these people with junior boyfriends sticking around....haha).

In the near future, Columbia has a huge St. Patrick's Day celebration, which I fully expect to participate in and, at the end of May, the Scottish Highland Games are coming to the area (think men throwing around telephone poles, irish dancing, celtic rock, and Haggus!).

Lastly, despite my efforts to avoid the unhappy chore of ironing and dry-cleaning clothes, I shall now have to become an adult in this respect. In preparation for the summer, I now have about 5 suit coats and far too many button-downs for any person to be able to comfortably raise their arms to gesticulate or maintain a reasonable temperature during hot summer months. Luckily, this was all accomplished by a brilliant trip to the local Goodwill on the rich side of town. Thank God for thrift stores!!

Also, Hannah Robinson is engaged (to a Carleton Professor)! That's two of Amy and my's freshman floor mates, from the same room no less, who are now engaged!!

Finally, I recently ate a baby octopus at a sushi restaurant and I think I get headaches now if I don't drink coffee. ADDICTION. Love you all!!

1 comment:

  1. 1) congrats on the internship!!!
    2) scottish highland games?!?!?! please take pictures for me
    3)I have two work outfits that require dry cleaning and even though there is dry cleaning both at work and on the first floor of my building, I just keep putting it off haha
    4) omg I couldn't believe when I saw hannah's fb status...glad she's happy, though
    5)are you saying you are now addicted to coffee because you ate a baby octopus?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.