A few things I've learned:
- False Spanish Moss is especially false because it is not moss, but a lichen. Also called Old Man's Beard for obvious physical reasons.
- Douglas Fir Trees are not true fir trees, partly due to how their cones grow and some other reasons I have yet to learn. Their needles taste strongly of lemon.
- Madrones can be remembered as "refrigerator" trees because they frequently have exposed smooth bark that is always cool to the touch even in summer.
Anyway, I also used the German accent. I've definitely made one friend off it...she laughed pretty hard. Others sort of were uncertain as to what to do. You can probably guess the two phrases I divulged. It seems like an extraordinarily long time since I've talked any of you, really, and I worry a little bit, now working with people in their mid-to-late 20s who don't appear to have a lot of contact or connection with their college friends. I'm going to try to write more letters to you! That seems to be the primary way I've been keeping in touch with the Cape Codders. But two years since we've actually hung out for longer than a day...and the gap keeps growing. Perhaps in a few years? More importantly, I need to replenish my database of stories to tell. (Place winking emoticon here.) In terms of socially acceptable behavior/first encounters, I've come a long way since Cape, which means there are hardly any good awkward stories to tell! Hmm. A sign of growth?
Tomorrow we're having a "progressive" dinner (re: tapas and alcohol) with the whole staff. Maybe more stories to come after that? I'll keep you posted.
I totally went to a Montessori pre-school. We had a marry-go-round that you pedaled to make go round...and they gave us all drivers licences for it (I still have mine in some scrapbook).
ReplyDelete