Thursday, January 28, 2010

Its freezing and I'm ready spring now.

Hey friends!
Its currently 3 degrees outside. So much for that heat wave last week--highs of 32 and rain...lots of rain that would freeze. Except you don't realize its frozen so you step out of your car onto the blacktop and die. Classic.

I had my first alumni gathering experience last week. I went to downtown mpls where Carleton was hosting a business network event. It was interesting... Have any of you had that experience where you run into someone you went to school with--except you never said anything to one another for the entire 4 years you were at school together--but now that you are randomly running into each other, you're now friends? Yeah, that happened a lot. People from school that I had never spoken to were all of the sudden super friendly and curious about what I was up to. Kind of nice, really! Glad we can all be friends now. :]

Anyway, at this event they had this guy from class of 74 speaking about the Outlook for 2010 and how to get a job in the business world. So obviously, there were a ton of econ majors dressed in suits ready to network and a bunch of older alums. Mingling was not hard or as awkward as I thought cause alums would just walk up to you and include you in some random conversation. Awesome.

Apparently we should be looking for jobs in infrastructure, green tech, health care, and food. According to the speaker those are the industries that will be able to expand. Score for Amy--seriously, every time I drink something that isn't Coca Cola I look at the label and it says "Pepsico--Purchase, NY." I think you're stalking me.

Okay, funny story...one of my mom's co-workers heard that I was still searching for a job, so she called up her husband who is an executive in the financial department of Gander Mountain. He says that he's looking for an inventory analyst and even though it require 3-4 years experience, he said I can skip that since I went to Carleton. Haha. If you don't know Gander Mountain, its a hunting/fishing/camping company with the motto: "We live outdoors." Hahaha. Sounds perfect for me! Luckily knowledge of the lifestyle is not a requirement.

Second funny story...I logged onto facebook yesterday and in that sidebar where the ads are I saw 3 ads for the following:
1. Minneapolis 1 Day Coupons
2. Pole dancing shoes!
3. Become a fan of the Emu--King of the birds!

WTF FACEBOOK.

3 comments:

  1. and I love that facebook knows about your secret career as a pole dancer (I didn't tell anyone, I swear)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.