Thursday, January 6, 2011

My Life: The List

So as some of you know, since I've been back in the US things have been a bit of a whirlwind (punctuated by long stretches of complete lethargy). But during those times of chaos, wooee! I'm not going to do the "here's the last 2 months of my life in 10 paragraphs" thing. Instead, I'm opting for the "here's the last 2 months of my life in a list of events" thing.

Returned to US to realize that yes, this hemisphere is as cold as I remember; went through the cultural equivalent of a joint electro-shock therapy/lobotomy procedure; Thanksgiving; taught hilarious Spanish lessons to middle schoolers; answered inappropriate questions from middle schoolers regarding Spanish words for private parts and repeatedly corrected the pronunciation of the color negro; underwent knee surgery to stop my kneecap from falling out of place all the time, TAKE THAT KNEECAP!; became proficient on crutches; watched True Blood (disappointing); watched pirated movies from Bolivia (not disappointing); took painkillers (also not disappointing); watched television; stayed immobile for day-long stretches; started physical therapy with a disappointingly unattractive/married therapist; looked for jobs; received temporary admissions counselor position at Carleton out of the blue; accepted position; drove to MN in the BLIZZARD OF THE CENTURY; blown into ditch by said blizzard; spent NYE sober; moved to Northfield; saw lots of people I thought had been neatly left in the past; started job.

And now you're caught up to today! It's way surreal being back in Nofo but my job's going to be sweet and only lasts until April, 30th. I get to read applications and give info sessions and am solely responsible for accepted students days. AND, today I got my work laptop which is a real beauty with an extra screen so I can run lots of applications at once. It's like the future.

Also, some new things on Division: A pan-asian restaurant! A bubble tea place! A health food restaurant! A women's consignment store! A for-sale sign in the window of Tiny's!

That's it. Hopefully I have hilarious tales to report on my "Return to Carleton" experience soon. Happy New Year y'all!

4 comments:

  1. exciting! on my home front, i've started a journal of a fake life to keep me distracted from the fact that my current one is very boring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. also, are u proficient at going up AND down staircases on crutches?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1) true blood was disappointing? really? I'm going through withdrawl until next season begins.
    2) congrats on the job...it sounds really fun! Also, is froggy's really closed forever? please do some investing.
    3) ryeon, please start posting your fake journal entries on the blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo you're at Carleton now?? Nate, my dear, we should hang out! I'm still living at home! :/ haha. Seriously though, congrats on the job!! :]

    And I'd love to hear more stories about life at our old alma mater...

    (If you ever find yourself wanting of a home-cooked meal just stop by.)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.