Due to my never-ending and ever depressing search for employment, I've started reconsidering some alternatives. I apparently possess no marketable skills and its not like I have any technical education so I think I will pursue the rewarding route of teaching!
Unfortunately I did not possess the foresight to take Ed Studies classes while at Carleton--damn it!--So I'm looking into cheap local schools that provide courses to prepare you for a teaching license! My dad has really been encouraging this because 1. He was a teacher for 30 years so he knows everything there is to know about navigating the teaching world. 2. He says the economic depression we are in is probably going to last another decade. Fantastic.
But hey, lets look at the bright side.
1. I have one of those complicated and difficult to explain degrees. I could teach English or literature or writing or American history or social studies etc etc. So much variety and I like those subjects!
2. I went to a great Alma Mater that is well known to those in the educational world! The Carleton degree will look good to schools. Maybe after some experience I could get snapped up by the Blake School or St. Paul Academy that will offer a decent wage. haha. Plus what if I got a reference from Deborah Appleman? :]
3. The majority of teachers at places like Hopkins High School (where I went to school) are approaching retirement age. Hello job openings! Also community colleges are having record enrollments, and this means more teaching opportunities.
4. I already have some teaching experience. I mean if I can get a class of screaming, whining, crying and misbehaving 3-year-olds to do one the thing they are afraid of...I can accomplish anything!
5. My dad always said to not get stuck just teaching, work your way up the ladder and get some degrees to get to those educational administrative jobs. There are plenty of great masters and doctorate programs in MN for that kind of cushy desk job. Hello room for advancement!
And who knows, maybe at some point I can be a professor of American Studies and be the next Nancy Cho or Mike Kowalewski. lol. They are awesome and the current state of our country will provide me with years of interesting topics to discuss.
In all honesty though, this might be a good temporary fix and provide a little fall back plan for the future. That house in Lake of the Isles is looking farther away, but at least I'll be working towards some progress here.
Unless I can trick an elderly billionaire into marrying me and then making me the sole heir to his fortune when he dies....hmmm. JK.
I miss and love you all! My brother's constant updates about his super fun times at college (he is such a FRESHMAN, haha!) are causing me to reminisce! :]
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm serious. being a full time volunteer is the way to go. i just applied to a job in oregon to do research on sea lions that are getting fat on salmon. apparently, the state might be killing them... GOOD INTERVIEW QUESTION, right????
ReplyDeleteGood luck, Briana! I think you'd make an excellent teacher and it is a verrrrrry respectable profession. I, for one, could never deal with kids for more than 20 minutes. I never babysat for that reason. I hope things magically change when I have my own kids. And higher ed, as you said, is only going to grow! Also, your determination in your job search sets you apart from many people in this world. That alone, will serve you well your whole life:) love you!
ReplyDelete