Hello Everyone! It has been a while since I have posted (although I pride myself in the fact that I still do it more frequently than mr. widmer) so I thought it was time for a new update. I realized that this is ridiculously long, so I split it into sections so you can read the part that is most interesting to you.
The Job: I LOVE it! the staff is so interesting, fun, supportive, professional, hilarious, and really freaking smart. I am getting really involved in my work (like reading books and blogs about human trafficking in my free time) and feel excited to find something that allows me to pursue a lot of interests (international relations, social work, policy and public outreach, speaking spanish, etc). It is strange, but I have definitely been interested in the policy/outreach side of things, which is odd because up until soph. year of college, I considered myself pretty apolitical. But, the great thing about my job is that we are a small team of diverse fields (lawyers, social workers, lobbyists, etc.) so I get a chance to learn about each section of the pie. Also- I am getting a ton of experience working with grants and learning how a non-profit is run, which, although boring, is super helpful for the future. Basically, this job is approximately 203854928548928 times better than my previous position.
I think the best highlight so far is going to a bar with my coworkers and them not believing in my 1 drink max. They kept buying these insanely strong/cheap/delicious margaritas on me, until I was slurring outrageous and stumbling all over myself. It was the epitome of professionalism.
The Future: I have been looking into taking some classes (I seriously miss school. Like seriously) and considered italian, french, art history, and graduate classes in food studies. Unfortunately, my schedule is still a bit in the air (I keep waiting to hear back from the gov't art position that I have been volunteering with because they are considering hiring me part time... so until then, I am kind of working odd jobs/hours to get by) so I decided to post pone it until next semester. Also- classes are pricey! I found this program which looks awesome. Unfortunately, I do not have enough experience and this type of program is not in any of the schools/cities where Andrew is applying. But, it is a growing field, so it might come around in the next few years. Basically, my plan is a master's in food studies, work for fruit pickers' rights/anti-slavery among migrant workers and eventually open the diner of my dreams. **keep in mind, Life Plan changes weekly**
The Weekend: I am SUPER ready for fall... it has basically been hotter than hell in NYC, and I just want to be snuggly, bake delicious meals, wear socks, change up the wardrobe etc. Not really pleased that Winter comes right after, but I could definitely use a change in the weather. but this weekend looks pleasant enough, and I think Andrew and I are taking a day trip to Philadelphia and then attending a Carleton Club picnic in central park. Obviously I will send any worthwhile updates on alums.
The Family: well, we are t-minus one month to my sister's wedding... I think in general nerves are running high, budgets low, and anticipation somewhere in between. I tried wearing the mandated 3-inch bridesmaids heels to work today and tripped in the street and fell on my face (and ruined the shoe) oops. I keep putting off the plane tickets/hotel expense because it is crazy pricey (I realized I have never stayed in a hotel as an adult (like that wasn't a cheap hostel in another country). That shit is seriously expensive! But, I am excited to celebrate and see family/ see Andrew interact with my extended family (which is like my normal family on crack... except they aren't really on crack.)
Highlight of the Week: we have staff meetings once a week, so I like to bake vegan-friendly desserts (we have a vegan on staff). I made this on Wednesday, after Leah told us about the avocado frosting: yummy!
It was seriously incredible!
Also... Andrew's Birthday is next week. I am excited (although I am pretty sure he could care less) BUT this means we all have officially known each other for 5 YEARS! Happy Anniversary everyone!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You best have a batch of avocado frosting on hand when I arrive. It´s probable that I´ll eat it before I say hi, just so you know.
ReplyDeletethis is pretty much the happiest post ever. YAY! uber excited for you! miss you A LOT and hopefully maybe snag a phone conversation? i want food.
ReplyDeleteAwesome Caro! Your job sounds really interesting, and I'm glad you're enjoying it. :]
ReplyDeleteIt's getting fall like in MN too, although I still have cute summer things I wanted to wear! Nooooo.
Also, 5 years!!!! YAY!