Friday, December 18, 2009

Another gross skin-related post from Leah

Story of my life/year, I guess.

I went to Punta del Este, Uruguay last weekend. It was fabulous: I laid out on a beach for four hours, went for drinks, then sat on another beach before going to watch the sunset. My dream, right?

What I found out later: Punta is under the hole in the ozone, making the sun there 2x as strong as any other beach. Yr girl got BURNT.

My entire face peeled off yesterday (I couldn't stop thinking of that part in Silence of the Lambs when Anthony Hopkins wears that man's face to get past the guards. Though I never really understood how that could have been effective) section by section. THEN once I became satisfied enough with its uniformly pink color keeping me from looking like too much of a freak, I made the huge mistake of going for a run. When I got home (are you ready for this?) all the beads of sweat had collected beneath the sunburned skin on my chest and stomach and popped out of my skin as waterdrop-like blisters. Terrifying/disgusting (plus I had to go to a classy art event, so inconvenient -- I wore a scarf in the 90 degree heat). Anyway the blisters became just spots (hopefully not permanent spots) but I'm not going to run again for a few days. Ugh.
Moral of the story: sunscreen, always. In Uruguay, 2x the sunscreen.

3 comments:

  1. i dreamed about your skin the other night. it was kind of scary. in the most complimentary and supportive way possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sunscreen = ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS.

    unless you want to look 45 when you're 30. *shudder*

    Hope you had some aloe vera on hand. OUCH.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooohhh awful!! Sounds uber inconvenient. Sending soothing thoughts your way and some ozone.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.