Friday, December 18, 2009

Polar plunging

Hello, folks. I've left the Cape a week early to go home for a funeral. Weird; I imagine it'll be real once I see my cousins. For now, it's a long trip to somewhere sad. Indeed, the longest ride ever from the Cape to NYC (7 hours), and another 9 hours to get to NC, plus 3 more to get to SC.

On another note, I found out early this morning, threw my bag together, and proceeded to go to work (i.e. "fun day"), which involved 5 hours of playing games with my housemates and other AmeriCorps Cape Codders. So I suppose it was the best workday to go to 'cuz it was pretty lighthearted and truly, "fun." We concluded with a polar bear plunge on the Atlantic side of Dennis. OMFGOSH, so frigid. My body didn't actually feel anything at first, then it said, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" I didn't know, so I looked at the other bodies and they were all diving into the water, so as my body struggled to remain upright, my mind threw it flat into the water. If I could levitate, it should've happened then, so I guess I can't. Ice water doesn't just burn the skin, it also totally disorients the mind. TOTALLY WORTH IT!! I think we got it all on tape, too!

I also discovered that I have only spent 3 days in a row off Cape since I arrived in September, and it really feels strange to be leaving now for 15 days. I am excited to return home...excited in the way you feel when you are compelled to go home to create a family web for renewed stability and comfort. But I am sad to leave Wellfleet. Those folks, in the three and half months that I've lived with them, are a family to me now. I wouldn't have guessed that would happen, really, I was quite skeptical. We're celebrating Christmas morning tomorrow, and I'm video-chatting with them for the first 15 minutes, since I won't be there. I'm like the parent away on a business trip calling home to the kids and saying warm things as they open up their presents.

Sorry for the bummer post. Hope all is well with you, my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.