Thursday, October 29, 2009

Post-Rec Fitness (Pt II)

Dudes, I've been shit at posting, I'm sorry. BUT reading this blog/email communication is my lifeblood (love that phrase) and though I'm living in a house with 25 fairly cool people, I miss you all, all the time.

Andrew's post about the parkour court -- I easily and cheerfully pictured you snapping that pic before beginning the workout, by the way -- inspired me to share the weird weird workout experiences I've had here. I've been alternating between running and fitness classes at the gym on my block (the gym itself is crap, they have five treadmills and bikes with slippery pedals; I miss Stairstepper #2). City running is both incredibly fascinating and incredibly frustrating; in passing hundreds of faces, the chance is good that plenty will be funny or attractive-looking, BUT slow walkers and dog poop are only too prevalent in this city. Also, when I have to wait to cross large streets, it sure does elicit stares to run in place. Still, I've seen some great things while running. Last week I'm pretty sure I spotted an elderly males' sunbathing club. I also went running in the ecological reserve, a large swamp with some grass and trees that is the largest "green space" in the city, and saw couples taking 'scenic' shots in front of the swamp water -- poor babies have no idea... I have also been very into the song "Ayo Technology" lately but feel incredibly sheepish when it comes on my iPod when children are around (FUN FACT: just realized from finding that link that i have an especially dirty version of that song) even though I know they can't hear it.

The classes are also phenomenal, my favorite is called Warrior Fit; it is comprised of six superhard exercises done six times for 20 seconds each time (still following?) working HARD specific muscle groups, broken up by kicking punching exercises (Drewdogg you'd love it, one of the things was rolling on the floor). The first day I attended the teacher asked if I spoke English and when I said yes, he told me I shouldn't have a problem because the music is in English. You're right, Silvio, Madonna's 'Die Another Day' is all I need to follow along (?) I have also attended Localizada, which works ONLY ass and abs for over an hour and Tae-bo, which involves clapping in a circle in the dark with a disco ball and a teacher who sings along with Aerosmith and wears dragon shirts. Gym classes may be my favorite thing about this country so far. That, and the ice cream -- so it balances out.

Did I tell you I have an Argentina blog? It's mostly for my mom and aunts (so it's a little more wholesome/less obscure), but you should read it! I link to Trashmeat on it as well, you know, to give us that extra little boost of attention (my parents'). leahinargentina.blogspot.com
MISSLES

1 comment:

  1. the video to ayo technology is so voyeuristic and unsettling! it made me wonder how dirty your version is... props to the minority report computer reference, though. too bad they were using to spy on undied (undies as an adjective?) women.

    do you parents read this blog as well? since you link it to your leahinargentina?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.