Wednesday, October 21, 2009

What?! I actually have to work in spain?

Well, don't get too worried. I have every wednesday off, and every other week I only work Monday and Tuesday nights. Whew! I was worried too.

Well, now that I am no longer a bum, life is busy!I gave an "all about me" speech (with pictures of you guys!) seven times yesterday. Seven. ridiculous. I started by asking what stereotypes Spanish people have of America (which they ALWAYS point out means from alaska through south America). I got a lot of "Americans are fat" And , "Americans love hamburgers". One person said that we are hypocritcal because we pretend to be very conservative and righteous, but then high school girls take the birth control pill to have a lot of sex. I aked if high schools inSpain don't have sex and she said "No, we do- we just talk about it!" Hahaha. They were all astonished when I said that if you go to the club in America after age 30, people will stare. I also mentioned how people don't really go out that often post 30, and they started listing all of the activites that could be done. I really hope I am still social later in life, like all the spanish people.

Classes are good, but I have 11 sections I must keep straight. For the most part, teachers give me activities to do wtih them, and also say I can change it however I want. In the school I go to every week, I only have to teach a class once or twice, and during the rest of the time I lead groups of 4 in a discussion (way more fun).

They all think my friends are very attractive (which we are... I was on facebook and saw pictures of all these poeple from high school who have gotten way fat and are now married.... doesn't that happen in your 30s people?). And they though my 14 year old brother was 17-19. People here are WAY SHORT, so I think that may have influenced their decision. They also think I am like 26+ though, so I dunno (in America, people think I am 16... maybe its because I am so damn eurotrendy?)

Well today, I am headed to the art museum to see if I can volunteer/ explain what volunteer means and maybe convince the friendly woman in the bakery downstairs to let me help her bake once a week or so. Should be good!

Missing you all immensely today... I would love some more updates!

2 comments:

  1. bakery volunteering? that sounds PERFECT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that was a cultural bombshell of an post; love it! Sounds like Spain is perfect for you - short people, bakeries, open conversations about sex, hell, I love all those things too, I'll come visit right now!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.